Reach & Rise Mentor Program
Inspire a Future: Become a Mentor
We are excited to offer Reach & Rise Mentoring Program, a national YMCA mentoring program, which supports youth ages 6 to 17. Reach & Rise is a one-to-one community-based mentoring program aimed to transition youth from “risk to resiliency” and build a better future for youth by maximizing each child’s potential, with the support of caring adults. This is a free program, established to provide youth from over-stressed families in our community an opportunity to grow through a positive relationship with an adult mentor.
Why Be a Mentor?
- Provide youth with a POSITIVE, growth-inducing relationship
- Be a SOLUTION to the problem
- Move youth from risk to RESILIENCY
- Have a DIRECT impact on your local community
- Make a DIFFERENCE in the life of someone in need
- Must be at least 23 years old
- Complete paraprofessional training (15 hours over 4-5 weeks)
- Pass fingerprint security screening
- Meet with youth 1-3 hours each week (scheduled by mentor, youth, and youth’s family)
- Make a 1 year commitment to the program
Mentors go through 15 hours of therapeutic paraprofessional training, which is spread out over the course of five weeks. The training will provide a better understanding of cultural/social development, mental health issues, risk factors, and ways to communicate with at risk youth. Reach & Rise is an intentional program that utilizes a strength-based approach to build trusting relationships, develop cultural empathy, and create positive change.
Mentoring can include:
- Educational Support and Tutoring
- Involvement in Recreational Activities
- Exploration of Interests and Strengths
- Skill Development
- Empathetic Listening
- Recreational Activities (such as arts and crafts, environmental activities and social outlets)
If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please contact Rachele Carter at 765.457.4447 or firstname.lastname@example.org.